This one-day shadowing program offers current Northwestern students the opportunity to accompany alumni on the job in order to learn more about different professional fields. Students spend time observing and often working alongside their alumni hosts in order to gain insight into the practical aspects of potential careers.
View photos submitted by 2015 NEXT participants and follow #WhatsNEXTNU on Storify.
Students who participate in the NEXT program will (or will be able to):
- Use online resources to research career paths and/or organizations prior to their externship.
- List 3 things they can do to prepare for an externship.
- Formulate at least 5 open-ended questions to ask their alumni during their externship.
- List the typical duties associated with the job of the alumni they shadowed.
- Describe the skills/qualities needed to be successful in the job of the alumni they shadowed.
- Articulate the advantages and disadvantages of pursuing a career in the industry they learned about through shadowing in light of their personal skills, interests and goals.
For Alumni Hosts
Alumni registration for this year’s program is now closed. Registration for next year will open December, 2016.
Once alumni host registration concludes, students will be able to browse the available externships and submit letters of interest and a resume to the Northwestern Alumni Association (NAA). If students are interested in applying to your externship, you will receive an email with links to student applications. You will then rank your choice of students and submit them to the NAA.
All hosts and students will be notified if they have matched by early March. The selected student will contact you in late February or early March to set a date. The externship should take place between March 21 and April 22, 2016 or another mutually agreed-upon date.
For more information, please refer to our Alumni Host FAQs.
Alumni questions or interested in hosting next year? Contact email@example.com or 847-491-5648.
Student registration for this year’s program is now closed. Registration for next year will open January, 2017.
As a participating student, you are able to search available externships by company, location, and/or professional fields. To apply, you’ll need to submit a personal statement and anonymous resume for each externship opportunity. Only current Northwestern students are eligible.
For more information and detailed application instructions, please refer to our Student FAQs
Student questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT is co-sponsored by the Northwestern Alumni Association and Northwestern Career Advancement.
Find out more about Mentoring and Networking opportunities. >>